Monday, February 28, 2011

Movie Monday & My Hair

I'll start this little trend of Monday posts. Movie Reviews. Most of the movies I will "review" will be old ones, not in theaters...because I don't get out to the theater much, it's way expensive and there really isn't anything I'm dying to see when it hits the theaters. I can pretty much wait when it's available on Netflix. I've mentioned it before and I'll do it again. There isn't much in the theater that is worth watching anyway. Call me old fashioned. I will take it as the biggest compliment.

Movie today? "Lullaby of Broadway" (1951)

Star: Doris Day (she's amazing)




Breakdown: (courtesy of IMDB..because I was too lazy to put it in my own words)
Pretty Melinda Howard has been abroad singing with a musical troupe. She decides to return home to surprise her mother whom she thinks is a successful Broadway star with a mansion in Manhattan. She doesn't know that her mother is actually a burnt-out cabaret singer with a love for whiskey. When she arrives at the mansion, she is taken in by the two servants who are friends of her mother's The house actually belongs to Adolph Hubbell, a kind-hearted Broadway producer who also gets drawn into the charade. Hubbell takes a shine to Melinda and agrees to star her in his next show. Melinda also finds romance with a handsome hoofer who's also in the show. All is going well for Melinda except that she wants to see her mother who keeps putting off their reunion. Written by Daniel Bubbeo

The adorable servants, quirky and funny. They have a musical number in the movie!


Hubbell and Howard. Does this guy look familiar to you? Yup, he's in Christmas in Connecticut! He's just as lovable in this movie too!


There is a little bit more to the movie than the summary. Howard develops a friendship with Hubbell, very innocent in her eyes, but to the media it appears she is having an affair with him. He even went out to buy a mink stole for her, which his wife mistakenly finds when Howard tries to return it. Of course, Howard finds out about this so called affair through the tabloids and is furious and tries to leave, but of course, all works out in the end and Howard falls in love with a gentleman that is in Hubbell's new show and she herself gets the main part in his production. She eventually finds her mother and she asks for the truth about her lack of Broadway career. They have a great Mother-Daughter moment that everyone can get something out of. Be honest and love your family, faults and all.

Doris Day is just lovely in this movie, as she is in all her movies. It's quirky, funny, tasteful, all great musical numbers and even dives into relevent and darker topics, while keeping it light. The main characters are charming and funny and you instantly like them, much like Day's character does. I also love her wardrobe in this movie, so feminine, so classic! I suggest you put this in your Netflix queue right away!

(I'm clearly not a great reviewer, but I like people to hear about some old classic movies, one of these days my writing skills will improve and I will actually be better at reviewing these movies!)


**Oh, and my red hair did not turn out. Something went wrong with the color. It started off perfect, I could see on my roots the red/orange I was aiming for. Then, then it got dark, really dark w/ a violet undertone to it. (Sigh) So this is what it looks like as of now (with some of the color stripped). Going to let it fade a bit, then get it completely stripped and then try again. If it doesn't work this time--well, I might have to find another colorist. (my hairstylist is the Hubs cousin) or go back to basic brown. I did get some side bangs--like always they take me getting used to, which I pinned back today, because I didn't like them this morning. I'll get a shot of the bangs when they actually cooperate! (blurry phone shot)


2 comments:

  1. My mom LOVES Doris Day movies. I actually just started watching them within the last 2 years or so and found her to be hilarious. Love the movie "The Thrill of It All" with her and a very young (and quite good looking) James Garner. I haven't seen this movie yet though, so I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the review. :)

    And I love the hair color - even if it's not what you had in mind.

    See ya Saturday, right??? :)
    xo,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete